Pages

8/09/2011

My Pocket Drawing Kit



I have always been fascinated to learn about what other artists consider their essential tools to carry with them at all times. Currently, I have been making it a habit to always have a sketchbook and drawing supplies with me wherever I go.  In this post I want to share a little bit about the drawing kit that I have put together and carry with me, and how I use it.



The drawing tools I've selected allow me to make basic monochromatic sketches and drawings which can be developed into more finished pieces later on.  I use pencil, charcoal,watercolor and gauche, which allow me a range of media to capture different transient effects of light and form. At the very minimum, a few quick pencil lines jotted in a sketchbook are of more value to me than a photograph for recording the fleeting impressions that I may later develop into a painting.


My drawing kit consists of a "Moleskine"-type notebook and a small metal tin to hold my drawing tools.  Together these two items easily slip into a jacket pocket or side compartment of a courier bag, etc.



Everything must fit inside this tin, or it stays home.  Since there is no room for pen and ink, I learned that if needed, I can add ink-work to drawings later on at home.

















Inside:
  • 1 small "Altoids" tin with four colors of watercolor pigment 
  • 1 tube of opaque white gouache
  • 3 "Utrecht" brand travel-type watercolor brushes, sizes 1, 5 and 8
  • 4B Conte crayon
  • an eraser
  • BBB charcoal pencil with pencil holder
  • Hardtmuth flat sketching pencil
  • No.2 pencil stub
(the ruler is for scale)





The watercolors that I use are sepia, Naples yellow, Venetian red and Payne's gray.  I use colors for laying in cool and warm neutral washes to establish masses, rather than to record particular colors.  Since finding containers and water for brush washing is usually easy, I normally don't carry these, unless I know that I am going to be out in the field somewhere. Drawing and painting away from home still require some planning.


No comments: